Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Goodies

Over the weekend, I finally got a couple more storage bins for the newest Halloween stuff.  Some of it was "cutesie", and that's not usually my style, but I have friends who will like it. So some of it will be gifted to them--a Halloween wreath, a Halloween flag, a paper garland of skulls--but most of it will stay with me.
Candleholders that feel like wax themselves

As I was sorting the similar items into bins, it occurred to me I should probably be cataloguing what I have.  After all, I'm up to 9 bins now, not counting the stuff that won't fit into plastic storage bins.  I began listing the newest things in categories: Bones and Skeletons; Masks and Wigs; Tombstones; Candleholders; etc.  Some things fit more than one category, of course, and right now it's all in a spiral notebook, but I can see where it could easily be cross-referenced and put into the computer. I could detail myself to death here, so that will just wait until a post-holiday winter's day when I can't find anything else to do.

Uh-huh.

There are two ground-busters from the Casket Donor, a mummy and a skeleton:


Some netting "ghosts" that will probably be disassembled and  washed in Rit Color Remover to make them glow:


I haven't checked to see if the green bats will glow in the dark, but I'll bet they will.


I'm not sure if this guy had insides, but he doesn't now, so I may have to re-purpose him after I get a chance to check him over more closely.  There is also something that seems to be a Frankenstein tree-hugger, but I haven't tested that theory yet.
I really like these small candleholders!  The witches had a blue cauldron-shaped votive holder in between them, but I dropped it carrying armloads from the truck to the house, and it broke. I'm hoping to find something I can use in its place, maybe from Michael's.  It's about time for the Halloween items to start showing up there.
Here are 3 "semi-cute" signs that I think I might can doctor up a little.  Reminds me of those old highway signs--you know, the ones that advertised the shaving creme back in the 50s?  That rhymed.  Can't remember the name of the product, though. Bryl-Creme? No. But I think it did start with a B.

Guess my early dementia is kicking in here. It'll come to me, though.
Another couple of semi-cute signs.  They have potential.


And my favorite, next to the casket itself:

He's not toally poseable, but all his joints bend.  They just don't rotate and bend.  

While I was indulging in a little Halloween fantasizing and wondering how to use all the things I have, my subconscious dredged up an idea I've read somewhere, probably on one of your blogs. Since I plan to have the candy outside this year, away from the front door where Tandi would bark herself into a severe case of laryngitis, and will need to make a pathway to the Gypsy Tent, I'm thinking I should work out a storyline for the old gypsy woman.  I might not put out explanatory signs or anything, but something to help me organize my yard, and utilize some of the groupings I have.  For example, the path could pass through a cemetery.  Then I can use the tombstones and ground busters.  Maybe it should go past a "swamp", where bats and reptilian body parts give off a green glow.

I have reconciled myself to the fact I will never have the production that most of my favorite bloggers have, just because I am a one-woman show.  And I don't have the time, space, know-how, or inclination (at least in this heat and humidity!) to build those wonderful moving props I see in Halloween-Land. So I need to make the most of what I have or can buy.

Any advice or suggestions for storylines?





BURMA SHAVE--that's it!
I knew it would come to me.

1 comment:

  1. Storyline is important. I use it to decided what goes and what stays. We have come up with some great prop ideas, and have not make them because they just don't fit. :( I think taking your collection and grouping it is great. You have already started your story line around your props, that is perfect.

    Write down the groups of items that you have and see if you can weave them into a storyline even if it is loose and has holes...it can evolve. Since you are still building your collection, don't get rid of something if it does not fit.

    Let's say you have a Frankenstein that just does not work with the theme, keep him and put him in another area in the yard or by the door or something.

    I had a scarecrow that moved all around the yard until it became a decoartion for the party and eventually I gave it away....but I made it work for a long as I could...no good prop should go to waste. Hope that helps.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete